Cheesy Pesto Rice Stuffed Tomatoes are a super fun and incredibly delicious way to use up that jar of pesto you’ve got knocking about in the fridge. A quick 5-ingredient dinner ready and waiting!
You guys, I’ve fallen in love. Like why the heck have I never stuffed a tomato with cheesy pesto rice before!? Beats me. Anywho, this tasty little treat is about to completely change the way you look at a jar of pesto. But first things first, let’s quickly talk pesto.
If you’ve already got a jar of store bought pesto, then go right ahead! HOWEVER, for a ridiculously easy and freshly homemade pesto check out my quick tips on how to make basil pesto. This will take these stuffed tomatoes through the roof and pack them with incredibly delicious flavours. And we all love incredibly delicious flavours.
Pesto itself is incredibly versatile and in turn, so are these tomatoes. The other day we had them for lunch and today I’m making them with grilled chicken and salad for dinner. But who’s stopping you serving them as an entree? Certainly not me! The point is these stuffed tomatoes are convenient. I don’t know about you but I always have a jar of (homemade) pesto chilling in the fridge. I’ve also always got cheese in literally every corner of the fridge. Rice? No problems with using a microwave packet for this recipe. Apart from that there really isn’t much to it!
Let’s take a quick look how easy tonight’s dinner is gonna be. 5 ingredients in 5 easy steps!
How to make Cheesy Pesto Rice Stuffed Tomatoes
1. Prepare the Tomatoes – Slice off the tops and scoop out the centre. Leave enough flesh on the skin to keep it sturdy. Keep the tops but discard the inside (or use as you wish).
2. Combine Rice, Pesto & Cheese – Cooked long-grain rice does the job! You won’t need any oil, the pesto will contain enough. Just combine the pesto and rice over low-medium heat, then mix in your mozzarella until ooey and gooey.
3. Stuff with Cheesy Rice – Okay now I’m getting excited.
4. Topped with more cheese – Because one cheese is simply never enough for me, I love sprinkling parmesan on top.
5. Seel the lids – Use 2 toothpicks to keep the top from sliding off. You can cook without the top on and grill for a few mins to get the cheese nice and golden, but I tend to keep the top on. It acts as a mini oven and keeps the cheese more gooey. Pop in the oven for 20mins or until cheese is oozing out and the skins begins to wilt. Be sure to place in a baking dish as these bad boys will produce a lot of liquid from the oil in the pesto and water in the tomato.
So easy right!? And what’s best is your kitchen is going to be filled with the most amazing aroma. Roasted tomato is one thing, but the scent of pesto with that is almost too much to bare.
So if you’re looking for a quick dinner, look no further than these Cheesy Pesto Rice Stuffed Tomatoes. So quick, ridiculously easy and a fantastic way to use up any leftovers you’ve got knocking about in the fridge.
How to make Cheesy Pesto Stuffed Tomatoes (Full Recipe & Video)
- 6 Large Tomatoes
- 1 cup (250g) Cooked Rice
- 1/2 cup (125g) Pesto
- 5.3 oz (150g) Ball of Fresh Mozzarella, shredded
- 2 tbsp Parmesan, grated
- Salt & Black Pepper
- Preheat oven to 180c (355f).
- Begin by slicing off the tips of your Tomatoes and placing to one side, you’ll use them later.
- With a tsp, scoop out the centres of your Tomatoes, leaving enough to keep it sturdy. Discard insides.
- In a pan combine your Rice and Pesto over low-medium heat. Then stir in 3/4 of your Mozzarella until it melts and becomes stringy. At this point check for seasoning.
- Scoop the Cheesy Pesto Rice into your Tomatoes, top with leftover Mozzarella and a sprinkle Parmesan. Place tops back on and secure with 2 toothpicks.
- Pop in the oven for 20 mins or until the tomato skin begins to wilt and cheese is oozing out. Eat hot with any leftover pesto and/or balsamic glaze.